The One and Only Ivan in Your Classroom!

Last year my son came home from school and told me, "Mom, I am reading the best book and you really need to make a unit for it!" Not a crazy comment by any means, but from my son it is a bit out of the ordinary because he is a reluctant reader. It takes a really, really good book to hook him into raving about it!  There really isn't higher praise for a book than that!

What is this awesome book you ask? It is The One and Only Ivan, by Katherine Applegate. In addition to the highest accolades from Sam, it also won the Newbery Medal in 2013 among many other awards. From Katherine Applegate's You Tube Channel:



I put it on my summer to-do list and I am happy to say I am finally done and my new novel study is published!  I also have to say my son was right, it is a really, really good book! I am a huge animal lover and love animal stories so of course, there's that, but I also really enjoyed the poetic way this story is told through the eyes of Ivan, the shopping mall gorilla.  I was also astonished to learn that this story isn't totally fictitious. There was a real Ivan who lived in a shopping mall in Washington State for 27 years!

While creating this novel study I wanted to incorporate as much of the non-fiction aspects as I could to help the student learn a little about Silverback Gorillas, elephants, living in captivity vs. the wild, and of course the story of the real life Ivan! I hope that your students can walk away from this book with your hearts filled with excitement as much as Sam did!




I want to help you get this story in the hands of your students.  I am offering a giveaway of a classroom set (25) of The One and Only Ivan books, plus a $10 TpT gift certificate!  To enter, please visit The Teaching Bank's Facebook page for the Ivan Giveaway post. Please share the post and leave a comment sharing what you loved most about this book and what you hope your students will walk away with after reading it.  



A winner will be chosen from the Facebook comment section at 10:00 PM CST on Thursday, September 28. I will announce the winner on the Facebook post and contact the winner via Facebook messenger to deliver the electronic $10 TpT gift certificate and to get your mailing address for delivery of your class set of 25 books.

Please check out the completed The One and Only Ivan Novel Study that contains both a printable and Google Drive™ compatible format available in my store. 



I can't wait to read your comments and thoughts! Good luck! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment