Why I'm Thankful for TpT

One of my favorite people that I've met through TpT is Miss Giraffe. I really enjoy "talking" with her in the seller forums, or as I call it, my online teachers'  lounge! It was a great pleasure to meet her in person at the conference in Las Vegas last summer! Miss Giraffe has written a wonderful, touching blog post over on her blog, Miss Giraffe's Class, talking about her devotion to her father and how TpT has helped her help him. She has opened it up to all of us as well as the "Why I'm Thankful for TpT Linky Party". Make sure you head over and check out all the stories!



Why I'm Thankful for TpT!

One of my favorite things to do as a teacher was to create and teach novel units. I loved to spark that interest in real, whole books in my students, many reluctant readers who didn't have much access to chapter books. After the birth of my second child, way back in 2003, I came up with the idea of attempting to sell my novel units on Ebay. My goal was to make enough to pay the preschool tuition for my oldest son ($75 month). I was shocked and so pleased that people actually started to buy them. With that interest, The Teaching Bank, was born. Over the years I was able to grow and expand to a couple different websites. With my preschool tuition covered my goals grew, save for a family trip, save for Lasik surgery, be able to provide money for extra curricular costs for my kids, etc. These things were all a blessing and I am so grateful for the small success I had.

In June 2010, all that changed when I found TeachersPayTeachers.com. I discovered the site at the disboards.com (website for planning for Disney trips and just to talk with others who love Disney) of all places. Someone mentioned TpT as being a great place for retired teachers to sell their no longer needed classroom materials. I checked it out and my life changed! TpT gave me a platform to sell my units in a downloadable format. I uploaded my work and the buyers followed. My goals of paying for a Disney trip now changed to being able to pay off car loans and helping to support my family in a real monetary way. Up to this point my earnings were fun money, now I was an equal contributor to the household!

Of course I am thankful to TpT for the monetary contributions to my family, but another, even more wonderful thing has come out of it, pride and a feeling of worth, that I thought was gone for me forever. I was not able to return to teaching after having my children due to a rare hearing loss that had progressed. I truly enjoyed teaching and even though I loved to be home with my kids, I missed the feeling of productivity and contribution that a professional life brings. TpT came into my life at the same time my kids were in school full-time so I was able to devote much more time and in return I have been given such a sense of purpose and pride that even though I am no longer in the classroom on a day to day basis, I am still touching the lives of students all over the world with materials that I created. I have been able to work in the education field creating products that I have a passion for despite my hearing loss, and that is thanks to TpT!

How are you thankful for TpT? Grab Miss Giraffe's graphic above, write your blog post, and join us for the Linky Party over at Miss Giraffe's Class!


5 comments:

  1. Your post made me so happy! I feel so honored that I am one of your favorite TpT people - you're one of mine as well :) Thank you for always being so kind and helpful. I loved reading your story and about how TpT helped you keep your sense of worth (you're worth your weight in gold in my eyes for all of the assistance you give others selflessly in the forums) and purpose outside of the classroom. And it really is amazing that you're helping children learn all around the world! Thanks for linking up!

    Miss Giraffe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet Miss Giraffe! I am so glad my advice has been helpful. I so value all my friends in the "virtual teacher's lounge" on TpT! I really appreciate the opportunity to link up in your party. :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful how things just seem to be there when we need it most. I would never have thought you had heard of TpT on a Disney trip planning website!!
    I'm so glad that TpT has been so good to you. Even though I don't "know" you, I know you're a giving person and you truly deserve all the success you have!

    Thanks for sharing your story!

    - Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lucy! Not just for the sweet comment, but for all the advice and suggestions you give both on and off the forum. You are always so willing to help and it is much appreciated! :)

      Delete