Friday, January 3, 2014

Charlotte's Web in the Classroom

The first novel unit that I created and used for my classroom was for Charlotte's Web by E. B. White. It's also the first that I offered for sale back in January 2003. At the time I was staying at home with my 3 year old son and 6 month old daughter and was looking into enrolling my son in preschool that next fall. I was trying to think of ways to earn a little extra money to pay the preschool tuition when I wondered if anyone would be interested in purchasing the novel units that I had written for my classroom. I decided to give it a shot and posted my Charlotte's Web Novel Unit for sale on Ebay to see what would happen and from there The Teaching Bank was born!


Scholastic's Lucky January 2014 Book Club order has the Charlotte's Web novel offered for just $1 right now! It is the perfect time to stock up your classroom with a class set at a deep discount!


Charlotte's Web is such a wonderful story that has a bit of everything for everyone. It is heartwarming, funny, inspirational, and of course sad.  All my students, no matter how
tough or cool, have fallen in love with this book. There is a reason it is a classic!

I have used this book in several different ways in my classroom. First, I have used it as a read loud to spark a sense of community. Reading, discussing, laughing and crying together brings about a sense of class community. 



Mostly I have used this book as a whole class novel unit or as well as small literature circle group unit. I have also used this book as an independent study unit for students. I created a unit to accompany this book that I have tinkered with and updated over the years. I try and create units that can be modified easily to use with an individual student, small group, or a whole class.

Each unit contains:


  • Teacher Packet containing detailed daily lesson plans, suggested spelling list, answer keys, and suggested curriculum connection activities.
  • Student Packet containing vocabulary activities, comprehension questions, and extension activities that correlate with the book. When I create comprehension questions I aim for a mix of recall and higher level thinking questions. I want my students to think about and analyze what they read and be able to discuss it, not just regurgitate answers. Here are some sample pages that show the vocabulary bookmark that students use while they read, the vocabulary crossword activity, and a comprehension sheet for chapter 3-4:



  • An Assessment Packet that contains a vocabulary quiz, an end of the book test in both a short answer and multiple choice format, and an end of the book writing assessment.



  •  Common Core Standards Alignment for Grades 3-5. The unit contains Common Core Checklists for each activity for grades 3-5 (105 pages total).
  • An After the Book Activity Packet that can be used any book.
Please visit my Teachers Pay Teachers store to download a preview sample of the unit so you can see even more of the unit.


Whether you use this book for whole class, small group, or individual instruction you will find your students really truly enjoying this book. Even if you don't use the unit in your class make sure that you include this book in a class library for your students to read or read it to your class as a read aloud. Don't miss the great deal running at Scholastic right now! Whatever you do make sure your students have access to this book! It is so much fun and really opens up the reading world for those reluctant readers!



No comments:

Post a Comment