Monday, March 26, 2012

Program sparks interest in reading - Omaha.com

I read an interesting article in the Omaha World Herald this morning. 
Program sparks interest in reading - Omaha.com

Teaching at the elementary level we never used the Accelerated Reading program so as a teacher I do not have experience with it.  My son entered middle school this year and began using the AR program so I am experiencing it from a parent's perspective. Overall I have not been impressed. My son is a reluctant reader and he has a difficult time finding books that will spark his interest. Unfortunately all I hear in regards to his AR reading is the point value of the books. He will try and choose the highest point value possible just to meet the goal, not paying attention to the content or reading level. Sadly he often chooses books he has no interest in, therefore earning himself a lower score on the AR test. As a parent I really wish there was less focus on points and more on reading for pleasure. I would be interested to see a program such as the pilot program mentioned in the article for my son's school. I want him to find the books that will spark an interest. I want him to WANT to read for reading's sake, not for a point value.

Any AR teachers out there that have any advice on how to use the AR program in a way that sparks interest with less emphasis on points? I'd love to hear your advice and comments!

2 comments:

  1. I am having a great time reading your well-researched content. You make a lot of sense to me on this subject. I will be back.
    vocabulary roots

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very happy to seek out this net-site.I wanted to thanks in your time for this glorious learn!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I’ve you bookmarked to check out new stuff you weblog post.
    vocabulary from latin

    ReplyDelete